E-Malt.com News article: USA, NC & CO: Oskar Blues Brewery reports strong earnings growth in 2015
Oskar Blues Brewery, the first craft brewery in the United States to brew and hand-can their beer in November 2002, continues explosive growth in 2015. The brewery earned a position in the top half of the Inc. 5000’s list of the fastest-growing private companies in America for the fifth year in a row, TheFullPint.com reported on September 17.
Colorado’s funky and unapologetic brew-pub has grown to become the largest American craft brewery to package beer exclusively in cans, while reaching towards 200,000 barrels in 2015. The brewery climbed to 24th position on the Brewers Association’s Top 50 Breweries list which ranks craft breweries based on beer sales volume.
Growth continues to be fuelled at both East and West Oskar Blues’s breweries. The North Carolina brewery in Brevard added a second 50-barrel mash tun and is in process of completing the second phase of its 17,000 square foot expansion project. The Colorado brewery acquired an additional 60,000 square feet last year in Longmont and is increasing capacity and developing an Oak Aging event venue.
In addition to capacity increases, strong double digit growth of Dale’s Pale Ale including a 43% YTD growth trend in Total U.S. Food (Scans) has led the way. In fact, the original craft beer in a can and flagship of Oskar Blues Brewery remains 50% of the brand mix amongst strong new brands Pinner Throwback IPA and Oskar Blues IPA.
The release of Pinner Throwback IPA and Oskar Blues IPA as year round core packages added firepower to an already strong can-centric brand family. The addition of Pinner Throwback IPA cans is seeing strong 70% growth rate vs. 2014 depletions.
Development of the Oskar Blues sales team continues, eclipsing 68 representatives including an experienced chain team. The brewery has expanded distribution to 44 U.S. states and plans to reach all 50 states by mid-year 2016.
Oskar Blues’ 2015 milestones:
1. Oskar Blues Brewery Depletions growth is at 28% YTD.
2. Dale’s Pale Ale 6-pack cans are experiencing 43% growth and are the leading craft can 6-Pack in US Total Food while Oskar Blues Brewery growth is at 60% growth in that segment.
3. CANundrum Mixed 12-pack growth is at 70% YTD.
4. Pinner Throwback IPA, a 4.9 % crushable beer, available year-round in cans and on draft has surpassed Mama’s Little Yella Pils in 2015 sales.
5. Oskar Blues IPA, a 6.43 percent beer using Australian hops is available in cans across the country and soon to be on draft.
6. Increased distribution to 44 states.
7. Oskar Blues continues to bring innovation to the craft beer industry. The introduction of the Crowler Seamer by Oskar Blues and Ball Corporation provides recyclable 32-ounce cans filled with fresh draft beer to taproom customers for off-premise consumption.
18 September, 2015